Completing the Picture: How the Circular Economy Tackles Climate Change reveals the need for a fundamental shift in the global approach to cutting emissions.
Released in collaboration with Material Economics, the paper sets out that while moving to renewables can address 55% of global GHG emissions, to achieve UN climate goals it is imperative to tackle the remaining 45%.
Concentrating on five key areas (cement, plastics, steel, aluminium, and food) Completing the Picture: How the Circular Economy Tackles Climate Change illustrates how designing out waste, keeping materials in use, and regenerating farmland can reduce these emissions by 9.3 billion tonnes. That is equivalent to eliminating current emissions from all forms of transport globally.
The paper demonstrates how businesses, financial institutions, and policymakers can build a thriving and resilient economy while playing an essential role in reaching climate targets.
The executive summary of Completing the picture: How the circular economyA systems solution framework that tackles global challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss, waste, and pollution. It is based on three principles, driven by design: eliminate waste and pollution, circulate products and materials (at their highest value), and regenerate nature. tackles climate change is available in: English, Français
You may also like
Climate and the circular economy
This topic area looks at how fixing the economy can help fix climate change.
The circular economy at COP
We’re incredibly excited to bring our mission — to accelerate the global transition to a circular...
Fix the economy, fix the climate | Summit 21
This session was live-streamed on the 8th June 2021 as part of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s...